One of the biggest challenges that a student will face in their academic career is writing their dissertation. If you thought producing standard essays was a challenge, then just wait until you are faced with a dissertation! Students are required to produce an extended piece of writing based on a research topic of their choosing. It differs from a regular essay in that it features several chapters and appendices and that it is often required to presented as a professionally bound piece of work. The length of a dissertation varies from one university to the next, and even within different areas of study, but you can expect to be asked to write somewhere in the region of 10,000 to 30,000 words. As you have probably realised by now, this is a project that is going to dominate a large percentage of your time over the course of several months. However, there are those who say that it is not necessary to spend so much time on it and that a dissertation can be written within as little as 2 weeks. We thought we would take a closer look to see if this is actually possible, or if it is a college myth!
Is 2 Weeks Really Long Enough?
When you consider the importance of a dissertation and the fact that it can be the difference between obtaining your degree and not, the question is not so much can you write a dissertation in 2 weeks, but should you? Students are known for being masters of procrastination, but with something this important it probably isn’t a great idea to leave it to the last minute. We would always advise getting started on your dissertation as early as possible in order to produce your best possible piece of work.
Is it Possible to Write A Dissertation in 2 Weeks?
However, just because something is not advisable that doesn’t necessarily mean that it cannot be done! If you find yourself in the situation where you only have a few weeks left then there is no point in telling you that you should have started sooner! For whatever reason, you only have two weeks left, so all you can do is use that time wisely. It is possible to achieve it, but it is going to take 2 solid weeks of hard work and planning with zero procrastination!
How to Write Your Dissertation in 2 Weeks
If you are going to write your dissertation in 2 weeks, then the first step is creating a solid plan. You will need to divide up your time in order to make sure you do everything that you have to do, so the best place to start is writing a to do list of all of the tasks that relate to your dissertation. You are going to need to allow the last 2 days for printing and binding your finished piece of work, so that leaves you 12 days for research and writing. Let’s break that down in manageable chunks using the following tips.
- Start of by allocating the first 2 or 3 days to some intensive research. Collect all of your materials in these first few days and start making notes in preparation for actually writing your dissertation.
- With your research out of the way you will need to set yourself a daily target. Assuming that you are completing a 10,000 word essay you can divide your word count up over the next 9 days. That;s just over 1,000 words per day – or 1,111 to be exact! Writing 1,000 words a day seems like it is much more manageable than 10,000 in 9 days, doesn’t it?
- The best time to write is first thing in the morning. Try to get into the habit of getting up and writing your 1,000 words straight away. That leaves you the rest of the day for additional research, proofreading and editing.
- Don’t limit yourself to 1,000 words per day. If you are really in the flow of writing your dissertation then keep on going with it. It’s not unrealistic to be able to write 2,000 words in a day if you are in the zone. This will allow you to finish writing earlier, or make up for those days when you really struggle to make your target!
- At the end of your 9 days you should have your 10,000 words and you still have a day left over to proofread and edit before printing and binding your finished dissertation!
Writing a dissertation in 2 weeks is not the recommended way to tackle this important assignment, but it is possible if you find yourself with no other choice. Don’t forget, that if you are struggling to keep up with your schedule, then you could also turn to a professional dissertation writing service.